Date(s) - 04/01/20 - 08/15/20
2020 CENSUS, Be Counted!
Lets Queer the CENSUS!
The 2020 Census is here, and so are we! Lets Queer it up and make sure that you and your loved ones are counted for. This effort will help secure that your community is given the necessary resources that allow for its people to thrive.
What is the CENSUS?
- The census is a self-portrait of the nation, which counts the number of people living in the United States.
- The U.S. Constitution requires the federal government to count everyone living in the county every 10 years.
- The tally must include people of all races, and ethnic groups; all citizens and non-citizens; all adults and children, regardless of age.
Why Queer the CENSUS?
- By queering the Census, the LGBTQ community will gain the visibility and representation that will permit for both advocacy and social change to happen.
- Queering the Census will improve the ways people in power make decisions that affect the lives of LGBTQ people, by pressuring politicians into giving us the rights and respect we deserve (need).
- Queering the Census will help the LGBTQ community by educating people about sexual orientation and gender identity.
- If our numbers and data are there, just as WE are, the government cannot deny us.
- Power in Numbers.
- Over $115 Billion is spent every year on California schools, healthcare, housing, transportation, and other vital programs determined by Census Data.
- If California doesn’t have an accurate, we could lose a seat in Congress.
- If you don’t complete the Census, your identity and community is invisible to people who have the power to make major decisions that affect your life.
How can I complete the CENSUS?
- Census Action Kiosks (QAK) will be located across the City and in your community.
- Online via Computer, smartphone, or tablet.
- Call one of the US Census Bureau’s Census 2020 hotlines to request or complete a questionnaire.
- Check your mailbox for a questionnaire from the US Census Bureau.
What will the 2020 CENSUS ask me?
- The number of people living or staying in your house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2020
- Whether the residence is a house, apartment, or mobile home
- Telephone number
- Date of Birth
- Hispanic Origin
- Relationships of persons in the household, including opposite and same sex spouses and unmarried partners
The US Census Bureau has sent invitations to mailboxes across LA County, inviting people to to participate in the 2020 Census.
With your unique and confidential household code, you will be able to visit the census website and access your form on any computer, tablet or mobile device! Please visit the 2020 Census website, to complete the Census form. #WillBeCounted
How can I get more involved?
- Sign our Pledge card, by clicking here, and commit to participating in the 2020 CENSUS. Re-post it on your social media and tag us, @somoslea (instagram)-@LatinoEqualityAlliance (Facebook). Spread the word!
- Join our Virtual Town Hall on Thursday, April 23 from 6 PM to 7 PM. Click here, to RSVP.
- Become a Census Ambassador in your community, and help spread the word to get your community counted.